Looking for an easy DIY project that will benefit the animals at JHS? You can make a heating pad for pets using two items that you probably already have in your household!
- A clean, soft sock in an adult size (longer socks like tube socks work best)
- Uncooked rice (make sure it’s not instant rice!)
Once you have all your materials, you can get started.
- Fill the sock about halfway with uncooked rice.
- Tie the remainder of the sock with a knot.
- Optional: decorate your sock with nontoxic markers.
- Donate to JHS!
How do rice sock heating pads help the animals at JHS?
Underage kittens who arrive at JHS without a mom have a tough time regulating their body temperatures. These rice sock heating pads help them stay nice and cozy! We also like to use rice sock heating pads to keep surgery patients warm.
How do they work?
To use a rice sock heating pad, all you have to do is heat it for 1-2 minutes in the microwave. It will stay warm for a long time!
Always make sure that pets can easily move off or away from the heated sock once you’ve given it to them.
Rice socks are just one of the many items you can donate to the Jacksonville Humane Society. For a complete list of items, check out our wish list. Thank you from the animals!