You probably know Jacksonville as one of the following – the “River City”, the “City of Seven Bridges” or the “Bold New City of the South”. But did you know that Jacksonville is one of the nation’s first and largest no-kill cities for companion animals?
Beginning in the new millennium, Jacksonville’s community members and animal welfare organizations worked together to achieve what many said was impossible – that any animal who could leave shelters alive would do so. In 2014, this became a reality thanks to our community’s unwavering support.
Now, in 2022, we are calling on our community once again to help save dogs and cats in Jacksonville. Earlier this year, the city of Jacksonville’s Animal Care and Protective Services had to limit its intake due to a rising number of animals in its care. This led to an increase in animals at our facility over the past several months.
JHS wants to help every pet and person who comes to our door in need. However, continuing to operate with more animals than we can safely provide care for puts their health, and the health of pets in the community, at risk from the spread of disease.
For this reason, we may not be able to provide immediate intake for every animal that comes to us. We are still providing a multitude of resources, including everything from our free weekly pet food bank to rehoming assistance and more.
However – there is good news! We know that Jacksonville is a caring and compassionate community. Any time we have asked for help, you have answered. Your love for pets and people in this community knows no bounds. If you are inspired to help during this time, here are a few simple steps to take:
– Adopt a pet! Now is a wonderful time to add another furry friend to your family. Please visit JHS or ACPS to find a new best friend. Special adoption prices, including FREE adoptions, are happening all month long.
– Join in our 10th celebration of Silent Night! Take home a shelter pet just for the holidays and help us empty the shelters at Christmas. This unique family tradition is a community favorite and has absolutely no cost to participate.
– Send a gift to the shelter pets or neighbors in need. Whether you send in a monetary donation or an item off of our wishlist, please know that you are having an immediate impact on pets and people in our community.
– Volunteer your time and talents! More animals in the building means that we need more hands and hearts to help out. Join our team of caring and compassionate helpers today.
– Help lost pets find their way back home. When you find a pet wandering without its owner, think “lost” before anything else. Most pets are reunited close to home and once they enter the shelter, the odds of their family finding them are slimmer. Resources are available!
– Reach out to our team. If you are facing an obstacle that makes keeping your pet a challenge, we encourage you to contact our team. The sooner you reach out, the more help we can provide. We are here and want to help you.
Jacksonville, we know that together, we can get through this difficult time. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and support more than we can express in words. You are truly a lifesaving community!